New CPD Requirements - Australian Optometrists
On December 1st 2020, new CPD requirement come into effect for Australian Optometrists in order to maintain their optometry registration.
Optometrists will still need to have completed a CPR accreditation within the last 3 registration periods, however there are some significant changes to educational requirements which are outlined below:
- CPD will be measured in hours rather than points
- The CPD reporting period will be one year rather than a rolling 2 year period
- All practicing optometrists will need to complete 20 hours of evidence-based CPD annually
- Optometrists who hold a therapeutic qualification will be required to complete an additional 10 hours of CPD each year that specifically relates to therapeutic practice
- Optometrists must maintain a learning portfolio that includes their learning goals, CPD activities, reflections on their learning and how this learning may be adapted to their clinical practice.
- A minimum of 5 hours of an optometrist’s CPD must be involve interacting with other practitioners (either face to face or online). The interpretation of this by Optometry Australia is that this interactive education should involve a two-way flow of information with practitioners communicating in small groups rather than poll-based interactions in large lectures or webinars.
- No more than five hours of CPD may be non-clinical in nature
CFEH online education has been re-developed during 2020 in readiness for these changes, and on December 1st the new educational website that reflects these changes will be launched. For more information, please follow the link below.